Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Ikea Meets Beach Cottage

If you like the clean, modern lines of Ikea and their budget-friendly pricing, A Beach Cottage in Australia is a wonderful source of inspiration. It's restrained shabby chic.  What really brings it together is the array of textures with the mix of natural and painted woods set on a canvas of white and carried room to room. 

From the tiny kitchen...even smaller than mine...


to the dining room...



to the living area...



It looks a bit like a catalogue or store display, and I mean that in the very best way. Ikea's catalogues and stores showcase design and organization ideas to inspire us to bring more personal style into our homes. It's about a marriage of style and function, and it makes me want to kick my Mission style computer armoire  straight to the curb and start anew. 

But then, I go to my Pinterest board and remember this sweet, little makeover from Centsational Girl
 
That is the color of my armoire, and aqua would be SO perfect inside.  I'm ready to let go of this color and would love to see the piece in white, black, or maybe entirely in aqua. (That chair has to go.) I love color so much... I don't think I have the restraint to live in the beautiful neutral palate of The Beach Cottage Down Under, but it's a lovely Beach Cottage Dream

But do you see what I see? There's a bit of Ikea peeking out at me! Right over the monitor there's a magnetic strip with round spice holders being used for paper clips, push pins, etc. And that's the brilliance of Ikea: multipurpose function! Now where would I put the rest of my jumbo, 50,000 count pack of paperclips?

No comments:

Post a Comment